If you’re mystified by the whole thing, let’s break it down for you. The “alkaline” bit in alkaline water basically refers to its level of pH (or acidity). If you don’t know what a pH level is, let’s go back for a hot second to the chemistry class. The pH level is a number measuring how acidic or alkaline a substance is on a scale from 0 to 14. Therefore, something with a pH of 1 is super acidic and something with a pH of 13 is very alkaline. In short, alkaline water differs from tap water because it has a slightly higher pH (usually around 8 or 9) than the usual tap water (usually 7), which makes it slightly less acidic.
Although medical research has not supported it, some experts say that drinking alkaline water can help neutralize acid, boost metabolism and even help your body better absorb nutrients. With waves of athletes, musicians and other famous people endorsing alkaline water, it’s one of the hottest beverage trends to watch.
Try some of these alkaline water brands below, or use an alkaline water filter or pitcher to make your own at home.
5 Best Bottled Alkaline Water You Can Buy
You’ve probably seen Essentia water floating around major football stadiums or even supported by different celebrities and musicians. There may be something about the hype because the pH level of 9.5 of this trendy alkaline water is a bit higher than tap water. This alkaline water is also produced without chlorine or fluoride, which is much better than average tap water, some believe. There’s a lot to love about it.
- Essentia has a proprietary ionization process that can “unlock the potential of water” from any source.
- Essentia helps overachievers do what they want, when they want, how they want by truly hydrating and unlocking the body’s true capabilities.
- Perferct for joggers, bikers, hikers, walkers, runners, surfers and more!
From its eco-friendly packaging to its selection of delicious natural flavors such as cucumber-mint and lemon-ginger. This alkaline water is significantly less acidic than your average tap water with a pH of 8.1 and is also a great source of electrolytes and essential minerals.
- Flow presents alkaline water with various, great-tasting flavors that takes the boredom out of water. (Other flavors include: Grapefruit elderflower, strawberry rose, watermelon lime, a plain flavor, and a variety pack.)
- No sugar, no juice, no calories, no preservatives and most importantly, NO BOREDOM!
With a pH of 8.4, Icelandic Glacial Natural Spring Water is much less acidic than tap water and has a crisp, clean taste. This water has a naturally high alkalinity and no added minerals from the pristine Ölfus Spring in Iceland.
- Assorted flavors and varieties including Classic sparkling, elderflower, Tahitian lime (!), and Sicilian Lemon.
- Icelandic Glacial water is a “water so pure, nothing is added and nothing is taken away”.
Bai Antioxidant Water is infused with antioxidant selenium mineral and natural electrolytes for taste and ultimate hydration. This alkaline water is less acidic and better tasting than your tap water with a pH balance of 7.5 or higher.
- Comes in 18 and 33.8 oz options
Although not specifically advertised as alkaline water, LIFEWTR is purified and balanced by pH, with the addition of electrolytes magnesium sulfate and potassium cicarbonate. LIFEWTR’s pH balance ranges from 6.4 to 7.4, making it slightly less acidic than standard tap water.
- Unique and trendy create art labels and merchandising. LIFEWTR series 8 features three limited run label motifs designed by Lilian Martinez, Tofer Chin, and Sarah Zapata
Core Hydration may be our favorite water alkaline brand water in the store right now! No harmful chemicals added and ultra-purified to establish a perfect pH in every sip and bottle.
Core was created to work with and for you…keeping you ultra-hydrated with the purest of waters.
The versatile water bottle (our favorite part) sets Core above the rest. The contoured bottled makes it easy to hold and tip-up whenever you need a sip or a chug.
- No dangerous chemicals added with absolutely ZERO chromium 6, fluoride, MTBE, arsenic or chlorine.
Where to Buy these Alkaline Waters
Many of these waters can be found in common grocery stores like Kroeger, Publix, Shaws, etc.
You will probably have more luck looking for more assortment at specialty grocery stores like Sprouts Farmer’s Market, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and all the others.
However, we prefer to order by the case right from Amazon. Many of them are Prime delivered within 48 hours and they bring heavy cases of water right to your door. How convenient is it these days to drink the cleanest water via home delivery? AWESOME!