Alkaline water and its benefits are one of the newest trends in the already overcrowded world of wellness and healthy eating. It is said that drinking alkaline water offers more health benefits than one. It helps to slow down the aging process, regulates the body’s pH levels and prevents different chronic diseases. Alkaline water refers to levels of acid in the body that neutralize, which normal water cannot do. Many health experts have argued about the use of this controversial health practice. Let’s find out about what alkaline water is and whether it’s worth the hype.
What is Water Alkaline?
Alkaline water is ionized water, which increases the pH level of water.
Definition: A pH level is a number measuring how acidic or alkaline a substance is on a scale from 0 to 14.
If the level is 1, for example, it means that the substance is very acidic and if it is 13, it is very alkaline. Alkaline water has a pH level of approximately 8 or 9 and a neutral pH level of normal tap water is 7.
Alkaline water is believed to help people with excess acidity because it helps to neutralize the body’s acid due to its alkaline nature. This body neutralization process helps to prevent various diseases. There are ways to increase the alkaline properties of water through the use of special filters, rod attachments and additives that increase pH levels and cause normal tap water to pass from neutral to alkaline.
According to the nutritionist based in Bangalore, Dr. Anju Sood, “your body secretes a lot of juices. These juices are now essentially acidic in nature, so alkaline water will neutralize acid at that time. We always suggest that you have foods that are at least 70 percent alkaline and 30 percent acidic, so that when consumed, the body’s pH is neutral.
Yeah, but Does this Alkaline Water Theory Actually Work?
Regular water is best for most people, according to Mayo Clinic, as there is no scientific evidence to fully verify the claims made by alkaline water supporters. According to a study published in the Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, alkaline water with a pH level of 8.8 can help to relieve acid reflux, since the higher pH level kills pepsin, an enzyme that breaks down food proteins and is a major cause of acid reflux. Another study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition claimed that after consuming high pH water, there was a significant difference in the viscosity of the whole blood compared to regular water following an exhausting workout. Drinking alkaline water can be beneficial for people with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, according to a study published in the Shanghai Journal of Preventive Medicine.
Alkaline Water Benefits
While scientific research is still lacking, various advocates of alkaline water claim to believe in the following benefits of alkaline water:
- Compared to normal water, alkaline water has ultra-hydrating properties. This can be a beneficial drink for people who work daily and need more water in their body. Scientifically speaking, your cells are smaller and more readily absorbed by the water molecules in alkaline water, which help your body to rehydrate quickly.
- The benefits of alkaline water also include increased immunity. Your immune system can help to neutralize the body’s acidity caused by poor diet, stress and environmental toxins.
- Alkaline water is said to have different minerals such as magnesium and calcium, both important for the maintenance of healthy bones.
- Alkaline water has many powerful antioxidants that prevent the growth of cells that damage free radicals in the body, which can further aging.
- One of the most important advantages of alkaline water is that it neutralizes our body’s acidity by reducing excessive acid content in the stomach and gastrointestinal tract.
Side Effects of Alkaline Water
Although alkaline water is considered safe to consume, it can also have negative side effects. One side effect is that while your body may be alkalized, excessive consumption can ruin your stomach’s natural acids that kill the good bacteria. In addition, excessive alkalinity in the body can cause gastrointestinal tract and skin problems.
- How to make alkaline water?
- How to bake soda with alkaline water?
Use baking soda that is alkaline in nature and has a pH level of 9 to make alkaline water. Mix in half a tablespoon of baking soda for approximately four liters of water or a gallon of water. Shake the water until it completely dissolves. Gulp down a glass once it dissolves.
How to make lemon alkaline water?
Lemon is acidic in nature, but has a pH of less than 7. When added to water, consumed and fully metabolized, its effect alkalizes and thus increases the alkaline pH level in the body above 7. That’s why we’re asked to start our morning with a glass of lemon water. Alkaline water may be good for your health; before switching to it, you should consult a doctor.